Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sick

Sick hit the house.

I came down with a sore throat I just couldn't seem to kick over the weekend, and Scott followed with something worse, taking a sick day after feeling just plain terrible at work yesterday.  I thought I'd take it hard when I work up.  But no.  Today I feel better.  It is a first for me to get sick with only a sore throat and fatigue.  I am the phlegm queen.  When I get sick, I sneeze.  I blow my nose.  I sneeze.  I blow my nose.  This repeats about ten more times until I sigh, yelling, "ENOUGH ALREADY!" to my body, to my respiratory system, to my genes.  When I go out, I hoard tissue boxes and shove wads of that precious quilty goodness into my coat pockets, along with ChapStick and bags for Nia walks around the neighborhood.  And I make a wish: that I won't be a slobbery snotty mess in public.

I really thought this sick would kick me and I'd wake up on one of these 3am mornings with a stunning ache and the want for fleece and bed.  But today, when that *#$&@* alarm went off, I felt better.  I wouldn't go as far as to say that I felt great or ready for the day.  But when you're sick, "better" is a gift.

So thank you:


 The Hot Toddy.  Lemon for the C, Honey for the soothing, H20, well, that's obvious, and whiskey that ties the whole drink together, allowing you to feel that smoothed out feeling, where sleep is not too far away, and doesn't hit you like a shot of cherry flavored Nyquil.  And a Hot Toddy is delicious!

However, there are some keys to having a good experience with this lovely beverage.  First is the fruit. Meyer Lemons are it.  There are no substitutions whatsoever.  Do not try to recreate this beverage with an ordinary lemon, or god forbid, a bottle of store bought lemon juice.  Even in our sickest moments, we refuse a hot toddy with anything other than a Meyer Lemon.

Secondly, the bourbon.  Our favorite is Booker's and it's not cheap, but I'm sick here people.  I deserve something tasty.  Other good alternatives if Booker's is out of your price range: Eagle Rare, Basil Hayden's and Rebel Reserve.

You may be a Honey snob, but we aren't, so I just use the bear.  If you have honey recommendations though, I'd like to hear about them.

And the water.  I've heard that black tea is really lovely in this drink, but boiling water does just fine for both of us.  I ordered this drink at a local bar over the weekend, and our bartender either put a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg in it.  I don't know which, but it was really wonderful.

Even better: Matzo balls are cooking as I write this, and then I will add them to a homemade stock.

I like better.

Hot Toddy
I like clear glasses for this drink, and I picked up these neat Tazo glasses at Starbucks over the holidays.  You can also use a regular sized mug.  That's what I do when these glasses are in the dishwasher.


2 ounces Bourbon (see notes above)
1 Meyer Lemon, squeezed (no substitutions!)
2 tablespoons honey


Mix bourbon, lemon juice and honey together, then fill the glass with hot water.  Taste and adjust as needed.  The more water/lemon you add, the more sour it will be, so adjust accordingly.







No comments:

Post a Comment